Sunbury Local Government Panel
1. The Transition Auditors are to conduct a review and provide recommendations to the Minister on the following:
a. The financial implications for the new Sunbury City Council and restructured Hume City Council with and without cross subsidy from Hume City Council;
b. The implications (financial and non-financial) of the separation on communities in the proposed new Sunbury City Council and restructured Hume City Council;
c. An appropriate and equitable method for division and distribution of assets and liabilities between a new Sunbury City Council and a restructured Hume City Council;
d. Any other relevant matters.
2. In undertaking the review the Transition Auditors are to:
a. Ensure that all current and relevant information regarding the financial and service delivery implications of the separation process is made public and is accessible to Hume City Council residents; and
b. Engage actively with all relevant stakeholders potentially affected by the proposed separation of Sunbury from Hume City Council.
2. In undertaking the review the Transition Auditors are to have regard to:
a. The views of the communities affected by the change and in this regard will consult broadly to ensure community issues and concerns are effectively heard and addressed;
b. Previous and relevant research and reports into the impact of the establishment of a new Sunbury City Council;
c. The intention to conduct an election for councillors of a new Sunbury City Council and restructured Hume City Council at the same time as general local government elections due to be held in October 2016; and
d. Any other relevant matters that may arise as a result of the review.
3. The Transition Auditors may also make recommendations to the Minister on any action which may need to be taken on any other matter as a result of the review.
4. Any written submissions or other supporting documentation provided to the Transition Auditors must be available for public inspection, unless the Transition Auditors specifically determine that the material is to remain confidential. The Transition Auditors must disclose the identities of all individuals and organisations that make submissions, even where the content of submissions is determined to be confidential.
5. The Transition Auditors are to report to the Minister for Local Government by 31 August 2015 in relation to Terms of Reference 1 to 4.
6. Subject to the outcome of the Report, the Transition Auditors will also be required to provide recommendations on the appropriate electoral structure of a new Sunbury City Council (i.e. the number of councillors and the number of wards, if any) for the Council’s first general election. Such recommendations are to be delivered on a date to be determined by the Minister.